Two Men Held in Connection With Parsons Green Bomb Released

Four people still in custody being questioned in connection with terror attack

Related links


UK Police Image Appeal

Police Continue to Question Two Men over Parsons Green Explosion

Sign up for email newsletters from,,, and

In the latest development in the investigation into the terrorist attack at Parson’s Green Tube Station two of the people arrested in connection have been released.

A 21-year-old man who been arrested outside a fried chicken shop in Hounslow on Saturday, 16 September has been let go with no further action to be taken. A warrant for his further detention expired this Thursday.

A 48-year-old man who was one of two people arrested on Wednesday, 20 September, at an address in Newport has also been released.

A further three men and one youth remain in custody, under section 41 of the Terrorism Act in connection with the investigation. Warrants of further detention for two of them have been granted.

The latest person to be detained is 17-year-old boy, who has arrested in Thornton Heath this Thursday, (21 September). Police say he was arrested after officers executed a warrant at around 5am. Officers have begun a search of the property.

An 18-year-old man was arrested by Kent Police in the port area of Dover at approximately 7.50am on Saturday, 16 September. A warrant for his further detention was granted by Westminster Magistrates' Court until 23 September.

A 25-year-old man was arrested at an address in Newport, South Wales at around 7pm on Tuesday, 19 September.

A 30-year-old man was arrested at around 5.10am on Wednesday, 20 September, at a second address in Newport.

Commander Dean Haydon, head of the Met Counter Terrorism Command, said, "This continues to be a fast-moving investigation. A significant amount of activity has taken place since the attack on Friday.

"We have four males in custody and searches are continuing at four addresses. Detectives are carrying out extensive inquiries to determine the full facts behind the attack.

"We anticipate that the searches will take some days to complete and may cause further disruption. However, it is important that we continue with these searches and I'd like to thank all those affected for their support, patience and cooperation."

He added: "As police and our partners do all we can to confront the threat, public vigilance remains as vital as ever.

"We urge the public to report any suspicious activity to the police by calling us, in confidence, on 0800 789 321, or in an emergency by dialling 999.

"We are asking the public to look out for anything that seems out of place, unusual or just doesn't seem to fit in with day-to-day life. It may be nothing, but if you see or hear anything that could be terrorist-related, trust your instincts, then act, and call us."

The arrests in Newport were carried out by officers from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command, supported by colleagues from Gwent Police and the Welsh Extremism and Counter Terrorism Unit (WECTU). Searches at the two addresses in Newport are ongoing.

Police say they would like to thank the public for their patience and cooperation.

Anyone with footage or images from the incident is urged to upload them at UK Police Image Appeal where they will be looked at by investigators.

September 22, 2017

Bookmark and Share