Visit Boston Manor House Over the Summer

Discover one of Brentford's hidden treasures over the summer weekends

Related Links and


Boston Manor House

Download an informative leaflet - History & Architecture of Boston Manor House (pdf)  or read more at

Friends of Boston Manor

Comment on this story on the forum

Entrance GatesThe most important house in any settlement has always been that of the Lord of the Manor.  

In Brentford this was always Boston House. 

The first part of the present house was built in 1623 for Lady Mary Reade who had a fashionable plaster ceiling in her drawing room with emblems depicting the five senses, the four elements, Faith, Hope and Charity, War and Peace and Peace and Plenty. Peace After finishing building the house she married Sir Edward Spencer from Althorp and they lived there through the English Civil War. As Royalists they were probably quite unpopular in the town as the Royalist army under Prince Rupert did a lot of damage while spending the night in the area in November 1642. 

In 1670 the house and estate were bought by a city merchant and banker called James Clitherow. He extended the house and his descendents continued there until they sold it to the Brentford Local Board in the 1920s. Over the years they had entertained Royalty there, laid out the gardens, farmed the land, had their portraits painted, decorated parts of the house, acted as Justices of the Peace and altered their home many times in styles that were currently fashionable.  

It is now called Boston Manor House and is open on Saturdays, Sundays and Bank Holiday Mondays from Saturday 1st April from 12.00 till 5.00pm until the last weekend in October. There will be free tours one weekend a month.

Isaac's Sacrifice

Boston Manor House is one of the hidden treasures of Brentford with Lady Mary Reade’s magnificent plaster ceiling and over mantle above the fireplace depicting the story from the Bible of Abraham about to sacrifice his son Isaac still on display and it's FREE! 

FREE Guided tours take place at 2.30pm on the weekends of 20/21st May, 17/18th June, 15/16th July, 19/20th August and 21/22nd October.

On Open House Weekend on 16/17th September there will be tours at 12:30pm, 2pm and 3pm.

Disabled access is to the ground floor only.


20 and Counting

A retrospective exhibition of embroidery, celebrating the 20th Birthday of The Isleworth and District Branch of the Embroiderers’ Guild. 
Boston Manor House
Saturday 17 June – Monday 28 August 
Admission: Free
The House is open Saturdays & Sundays 12noon - 5.00pm


August 3, 2017

Bookmark and Share