Late Forster Strike Earns Bees A Point

Brentford 1 - Exeter City 1

Now and Next

What's On this month (plus match reports)

Fixtures for the Year

Related links

BFC logo
Brentford FC

Brentford Community Stadium

Bees United



Brentford FC on twitter:

Brentford FC
brentford FC list of BFC twitter fans

Sign up for weekly email newsletters from, and


Brentford awoke from their first half slumbers on Friday to earn a point against Exeter City at Griffin Park

Nicky Forster was ultimately the hero (although most fans around me had no idea who had netted the scrambled equaliser at the time) as Brentford earned just reward for a vastly improved second half display

Friday's match - the first of two against Exeter in four days - started very poorly for Brentford with a Craig Woodman slip allowing former Barnet man O'Flynn in to score in the second minute.

The goal seemed to completely subdue Brentford who were unable to impose themselves in the first half as Exeter worked the ball neatly around the pitch. That said, the teams should have been level before the break but Marc Laird hit a post with the goal gaping after Macdonald's shot was smothered by the keeper.

Andy Scott's team left the pitch at the break to a smattering of boos from supporters who had again witnessed a substandard home performance from a team who seemed unable to break down their opponents. The Bees boss expressed his displeasure at the booing after the game - defending his 'honest bunch of players' - but missing the point that many of the boos were aimed at his slightly stale tactics and seeming inability to fire his team up for the start of a game.

Whatever Scotty said at half-time however seemed to work as Brentford looked a transformed team in the second half - working their socks off and stretching Exeter across the pitch. Michael Spillane was a constant marauding threat from right back and illuminated the match with a wonderful 360 degree spin with the ball.

Despite their pressure Brentford looked unable to force an equaliser - Weston had some chances from the edge of the box whilst Macdonald had a shot on the turn sharply saved before later turning the ball disappointingly wide at the far post following a Karleigh flick.

At the other end substitute Cureton produced a good save from the ever alert Richard Lee who was again in decent form in the Brentford net.

With five minutes of injury time evaporating fast Brentford finally got a well deserved equaliser - substitute Nicky Forster turning the ball in from close range following a goalmouth scramble.

Monday night's JPT Southern Final first leg is now set up to be a cracking game, but Brentford need to start as they finished tonight.

Bees - Lee, Spillane (Wright), Legge, Osborne, Woodman, Laird, Bean (Simmo), Kev, Weston (Forster), Mac, Alexander

With thanks to beesotted for their match report

January 17, 2011

Bookmark and Share