Speculation Over Sousa's Future at Loftus Road

QPR boss not consulted over deal to loan player, assistant coach departs

Related Links

Local footballer tipped for Premier League

Football match dedicated to slain teenager, Kiyan Prince

QPR get its fifth manager in 12 months

Dowie Sacked From QPR

QPR pay off �10 million loan

New shirts for QPR following sponsorship deal

Participate

Comment on this story on the Forum

Register on the site and get a free newsletter

Receive a free newsletter from HammersmithToday.co.uk

Speculation is rife over the future of Paulo Sousa after it emerged the QPR manager had had no say in the loaning out of one of his players.

Sousa admitted on Saturday evening that he had not been consulted over a decision to loan leading scorer Dexter Blackstock to Nottingham Forest for the rest of the season.

According to Sky Sports, the decision appeared to have been taken by club owner Flavio Briatore.


"I gave the players two days off after the Bristol City game and when I came back Mr Paladini (sporting director Gianni Paladini) told me he had an agreement (for Blackstock) to go on loan.

"It is a decision for the board and only they can answer it. I'm not frustrated. I said from the first day I have to adapt and try to do my best with the players I have," Sousa said.

QPR striker Rowan Vine, who made his comeback on Saturday after a long-term injury, expressed his shock over the decision. "I was a bit surprised about Dexter," Vine told the Daily Star. "He is our top goalscorer and there doesn't seem a lot of need to let your top scorer go in the last month of the season,” he said.

Earlier on Saturday, during the goalless draw to Crystal Palace, fans say Sousa looked “frustrated”. The QPR boss was sent to the stands at the end of the first half after jumping to the defence of his striker, Samuel di Carmine, who sustained a bloody face during a challenge. Sousa was red-carded for having left his technical area.

The speculation over Sousa's future comes as assistant coach, Bruno Oliveira, unexpectedly exited the Loftus Road club on Monday (April 6).

“Queens Park Rangers Football Club can confirm Bruno Oliveira has had his contract terminated with immediate effect. Oliveira joined the club in November 2008 as part of Paulo Sousa's backroom staff,” a statement on the Club's website said. The Club gave no reason for the 30-year-old's sudden departure.

The 'Vitalfootball' website says that as Oliveira was Sousa's friend, confidante and assistant, his departure would “not go down well with the Rangers' boss”.

“Could it be that the Board have decided that Paulo Sousa must go and are trying to back him into a corner so he resigns on principle rather than get rid of yet another manager?” asks the site.

Five months ago, Iain Dowie was sacked after allegedly refusing to let chairman Flavio Briatore pick the team.

7 April 2009

Update: Paulo Sousa's contract with the Club was terminated on Thursday 9 April. "It came to the Club's attention that Mr De Sousa had, without authority, divulged highly confidential and sensitive information. The Club, with legal advice, responded in this way to protect its position," a statement on the QPR website said. Gareth Ainsworth will take Caretaker charge until the end of the season, the statement added.