With 18 Burglars arrested and 13 Vehicles Seized
A Bumblebee Task Force, consisting of substantial resources has been assigned in Wandsworth for the operation. These include; Territorial Support Group, Crime Squads, Horses, Traffic Units, Marine Support, Air Support unit and Automatic Number Plate Readers (ANPR).
The operational activity is focusing on two areas; to increase awareness of burglary prevention and proactive movements against burglars.
Excellent results have been achieved over the last 12 days. In total 18 burglars have been arrested.
Overview of Results achieved so far are:
- 52 arrests (for various offences)
- 15 people charged (for various offences)
- 18 people bailed to return at a later date.
- 595 stops account and searches
Both covert and overt tactics are being deployed as part of the operation. Un-insured cars will be identified as there is a direct correlation between those involved in burglary and other crimes and a failure to insure their vehicles. Traffic Units were deployed in many parts of the borough using ANPR to identify un-insured cars and other vehicle related offences.
- 13 vehicles were seized.
Also targeted will be those who are handling and selling stolen goods.
- 10 people were arrested for theft or handling stolen goods and 1 retail outlet believed to be handling stolen goods was visited.
Leaflets with simple burglary prevention advice are being distributed to residents across the Borough.
Anyone who becomes a victim of burglary, can expect a police officer to attend the scene, a fixed appointment for a forensic officer to attend, and follow up visit from your local Safer Neighbourhoods Team with practical crime prevention advice, and other information.
DCI Lee Watling said:
"The additional resources the Borough is receiving builds on the substantial successes that has been achieved over recent months, both in reducing the number of residential burglaries on the Borough as well as identifying and arresting those responsible"
BumbleBee’s 10 top tips for securing your home
1. Mark or etch your property with your postcode, house or flat number or the first three letters of your house name.
2. Register items with a serial number at: www.immobilise.com http://www.immobilise.com
3. Do not leave your car keys or ID documents near doors, letterbox or windows.
4. Always check who’s at the door and don’t open it if you feel anxious.
5. Close and lock all your doors and windows, even if you are only going out for a few minutes. 6. Keep your valuables out of sight.
7. Leave some lights on if it will be dark before you get home.
8. Install a visible burglar alarm.
9. Always keep sheds and outbuildings locked.
10.Cancel milk or other deliveries if you will be away for days or weeks at a time.
February 1, 2010