Up The Junction
Hanger Lane voted Britain's 'Scariest Junction'
More than a quarter of participants in a Highway Insurance Policy poll have voted Hanger Lane Gyratory system the scariest junction in Britain - a dubious honour for Ealing...
Spaghetti Junction in Birmingham came a close second and we were back in London for third and fourth places, which went to Marble Arch and Elephant and Castle.
Scotland also has its fair share of scare factor on the roads, with the M8 junctions through central Glasgow and the Sheriffhall Roundabout, Edinburgh, picking up the eighth and tenth position.
As well as examining the junctions themselves, the survey examined driving habits and gender differences between drivers.
Apparently, female drivers are more likely to be concerned about junctions than males behind the wheel. Seventeen per cent of women said they regularly avoided specific junctions, compared to just nine per cent of men.
1. Hanger Lane Gyratory System, west London
2. Spaghetti Junction, Birmingham
3. Marble Arch, central London
4. Elephant and Castle, south London
5. South Mimms, A1/M25, Hertfordshire
6. M4/M5 interchange, Bristol
7. Magic Roundabout, Swindon, Wiltshire
8. M8 junctions through central Glasgow
9. Mancunian Way junctions, Manchester
10. Sheriffhall Roundabout, Edinburgh
December 13, 2007